Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Want a star-worthy smile? Dental bonding is the fast and cheaper way to get a beautiful smile. Dental bonding is a cosmetic procedure in which a resin material is applied to the teeth by your dentist to enhance a patient's smile. Dr. Phil Hart, who is located in Bartlett, TN, offers full-service, state-of-the-art dental care to the patients they serve. Read on to find out how bonding can help your smile.
1. You have short teeth. If your gums cover too much of your teeth, it can cause your teeth to look short. Bonding can be used to make your teeth look longer or to change their shape, so that they appear more attractive. During the bonding procedure, the resin material is placed on the teeth, shaped, and sculpted. A light is used to help the material harden and set. The bonded teeth are then polished and buffed for a smooth finish.
2. You have gapped teeth. Gapped teeth can be a difficult and emotional problem for many patients. Diastemas are spaces or gaps between two teeth. These spaces can form anywhere in the mouth. It's possible to fix gaps through the use of dental bonding. To fix gapped teeth, your dentist in Bartlett, TN, applies the bonding material to both teeth, filling in the gap.
3. You have dental cavities. Dental bonding is routinely used to fix decayed teeth (composite resins are used to fill cavities). A dental cavity forms when decay destroys the outer layer of your teeth (enamel). Causes of tooth decay include bacteria in the mouth, sipping sugary beverages, poor oral hygiene, and frequent snacking. Untreated cavities can cause infection, toothache and loss of teeth.
4. You have broken teeth. Broken teeth can be fixed by your dentist. Dental bonding can restore teeth that are chipped or cracked. If your tooth is broken, see your dental care provider right away. Otherwise, your tooth could become infected or be damaged further, possibly causing you to end up losing the tooth.
5. You have stained teeth. Dental bonding can improve the appearance of discolored teeth. The bonding material will mask discoloration to instantly create a bright smile. The material used in bonding is a plastic material that matches the patient's tooth color as closely as possible.
Start living your best life today. Call Dr. Phil Hart at (901) 386-9299 right now to schedule a dental consultation in Bartlett, TN. If you want a celebrity smile, dental bonding is the way to go, and the results can be life-changing! We want you to live your life to the fullest!
Want to know whether dental implants are the best option to replace your missing tooth or teeth? Well, you are in luck! Here are some FAQS regarding dental implant to give you an understanding about this restoration, how it works, and whether you’re an ideal candidate to undergo treatment from our Bartlett, TN, dentist, Dr. Phillip Hart!
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a prosthetic tooth that closely resembles the look and functionality of a real tooth. A complete dental implant is made up of three different parts,
- The implant, or small metal post (the part that replaces the tooth roots)
- An abutment, which connects the false tooth to the top of the metal implant
- A false tooth
Do I need surgery in order to get a dental implant?
Yes, you will need to undergo surgery, however, this procedure is minor and can be performed right here in our Bartlett office by our dentist. Furthermore, the procedure is performed under local anesthetic for a pain-free time.
How long will it take to get a complete dental implant?
This will vary from person to person and there are several factors that will determine the length of your treatment. Some factors include how quickly you heal after surgery, as well as the number of implants you are getting. Additionally, it can take up to 6 months for the jawbone and implant to fuse together. Most patients will get their implant within 9-12 months.
How long do dental implants last?
Since the implant fuses with the jawbone, this makes it a permanent structure. Therefore, it’s designed to last for several decades. Some patients even end up having their implant for the rest of their lives.
Give us a call!
If you think a dental implant is the right tooth replacement option to meet your needs, then it’s time to call our Bartlett, TN, dental office at (239) 593-0777 to schedule a consultation. We have restored countless smiles thanks to implants and yours could be next!
More people have gum disease than you might thin. Read on to learn the signs.
Are you concerned that some changes in your gums could be trying to warn you that you have gum disease? With gum disease affecting nearly half of US adults, it’s important that you are diagnosed early on when gum disease may either be reversed or properly managed. In fact, gum disease is one of the most common reasons people visit our Bartlett, TN, dentist, Dr. Phillip Hart!
Are you at risk for developing gum disease?
While gum disease can happen to anyone there are certain factors that can increase your chances of developing gum disease. These risk factors include,
- Poor oral hygiene
- Hormonal changes (e.g. pregnancy and menopause)
- Certain medications (particularly ones that cause dry mouth)
What are the warning signs of gum disease?
Unfortunately, gum disease may be lurking but you may not notice any changes in your smile—this is why it’s important to visit our Bartlett office every six months for cleanings and checkups. During these routine exams, we can examine your gums and look for early warning signs that you may not have noticed.
Of course, it’s also important that you call us right away if you experience any of these symptoms,
- Red and swollen gums
- Gums that bleed, especially when flossing or brushing
- Pain or tenderness when chewing
- Persistent and unexplained bad breath
- A receding gum line (teeth will appear longer than usual)
- Loose teeth
It’s important that you see a dentist as soon as possible if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, especially because gum disease is easy to treat if caught early.
Concerned? Give us a call!
If you are concerned about the health of your smile, it’s important that you make an appointment with us as soon as possible. Our dental team here in Bartlett, TN, listens and understands your needs to make sure that you get the care you deserve each and every time you walk through our doors. After all, there’s a reason Dr. Hart keeps receiving the Best Dentist award year after year!
For treatment, dial (631) 979-7446.
Has a missing tooth completely changed your smile? It's hard to feel confident about your appearance when there's a gap in your teeth. Luckily, dental implants offered by your Bartlett, TN, dentist, Dr. Phil Hart, provide an excellent restoration option.
Why filling gaps is important
Missing teeth aren't just a cosmetic problem. The loss of one tooth can increase your cavity risk and affect the health of your jawbone. Your chance of developing tooth decay rises if your teeth begin to shift after the loss of a tooth. As they shift, they may overlap. Overlapping areas tend to harbor cavity-causing plaque, which can be difficult to remove no matter how thoroughly you brush. Adding a dental implant prevents your teeth from shifting and helps you avoid cavities.
Your tooth roots constantly press on your jawbone and help keep it strong. When you lose one or more teeth, jawbone resorption (shrinking) may become a problem. Resorption can lead to tooth loss and sagging facial muscles in the lower part of your face. Dental implants prevent resorption by constantly stimulating the bone.
How dental implants can help
A dental implant serves as the root for your brand new tooth. Just like your natural roots, implants are firmly attached to your jawbone, thanks to a process called osseointegration. The tiny titanium implants begin to osseointegrate, or bond, to the bone shortly after they're added to your jawbone during minor oral surgery.
Osseointegration usually takes about three to six months. After it's complete, your Bartlett, TN, dentist adds a connector called an abutment and makes an impression of your mouth. The impression will be used to create a crown, an artificial tooth that replaces your missing tooth above the gum line. When your crown is ready, it will be attached to the implant with the abutment.
Dental implants offer several important benefits, including:
- Longevity: Your implant will probably last your entire life.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel very much like natural teeth and don't move or slip when you chew.
- Versatility: Replace one tooth, three teeth, or all of them with dental implants. If you're replacing multiple teeth, you'll need an implant-supported bridge or dentures.
- Biting Power: Decreased biting power is an issue if you wear traditional dentures. Because your implant-supported dentures are firmly rooted to your mouth, you'll enjoy excellent biting power.
Are you ready to find out if you're a good candidate for dental implants? Call your Bartlett, TN, dentist at (901) 386-9299 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hart.
How your dentist in Bartlett, Tennessee can brighten your smile
Do you want your smile to make a big impact, and to better reflect who you are? If so, it’s time for you to discover the benefits of professional teeth whitening. Your smile can look fantastic. Dr. Phillip Hart in Bartlett, Tennessee can help you achieve a dramatically beautiful smile that is still uniquely yours.
When you choose professional teeth whitening, you will enjoy these important benefits:
- A high level of effectiveness, because you can whiten your smile up to 8 shades whiter
- Long-lasting beauty, because your results can last up to an amazing 5 years
- Convenient treatment, because with the at-home whitening kit, you can whiten your teeth at your own pace, in the privacy of your home
- Safe whitening, because professional whitening methods have been rigorously tested for safety and approved by the American Dental Association
Dr. Hart offers at home whitening treatments with in-office monitoring:
At-home whitening, for when you want to whiten your smile whenever the time is right for you. Impressions are taken of your mouth to provide custom fit whitening trays. This method comes in the form of a kit containing prescription-strength whitening gel and custom trays, everything you need to whiten safely at home.
There are many reasons why your smile may have lost its sparkle. If you use tobacco products or smoke, or you drink coffee, tea or red wine, these can all wreak havoc on your smile. Normal aging also plays a part in why your smile can become dull and uninteresting.
No matter why your smile has lost its brightness, professional teeth whitening can help. To find out more or to get started on brightening your smile, call Dr. Phillip Hart in Bartlett, Tennessee today!