How to Maintain Good Oral Hygiene
Caring for your smile and keeping it healthy doesn’t have to be challenging.
Your oral health is just as important as keeping the rest of your body healthy, so isn’t it time that you took a moment to consider what you’re doing for your smile and what you should be doing that perhaps you aren’t? Our Bartlett, TN dentist, Dr. Phillip Hart, provides some of the best ways to ensure healthy teeth and gums.
When we talk about good oral hygiene, our Bartlett general dentist is talking about clean teeth, pink healthy gums and fresh breath. Of course, these things can’t be perfect all of the time, but the goal is to make sure that your mouth is as healthy as possible. So, what goes into good oral hygiene?
Preventive care is necessary for good oral health. Preventive care means brushing and flossing regularly and visiting your dentist every six months for professional cleanings and routine exams. These routine visits could mean the difference between a long-term healthy smile and dealing with cavities and other more serious dental issues down the road. Why deal with the pain, hassle and expense if you don’t have to?
Some great habits to adopt when it comes to caring for your smile include:
- Brushing at lease twice a day (remember to also brush your tongue!)
- Flossing once a day
- Following a diet that is healthy and limits junk food, processed foods and sugar
- Using an ADA-approved fluoride toothpaste
- Making sure to replace your toothbrush head once the bristles start to splay out
- Talking to us about whether you could benefit from fluoride treatment or dental sealants
- Not place a used toothbrush in a closed container, as this can increase the amount of bacteria and fungus that grows on it
- Quitting smoking
- Wearing a mouthguard when you play sports
- Wearing a custom mouthguard to protect your teeth if you grind or clench your teeth
Whether you have questions about your oral care routine or you need to schedule your upcoming cleaning, our Bartlett, TN, family dentist is at your service. We can address any of your dental questions and concerns.